Categories

A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.

The Feline Escape Pod is ready for takeoff

Feline Escape Pod

Take one iMac shell, a piece of plywood and 4 wooden doorknobs ; combine with paint, glue, and some weatherstripping, and you have a groovy little cat pod! As you can see it has the Calvin seal of approval already.

This could get ugly. There’s math involved.

One of the projects I have been working on is a shelf to run across the width of the dining room wall, to display our collection of mugs and beer steins. I finally got the last coat of paint on the shelf boards and brackets, and now it’s time to mount the brackets…

So right off the bat, the first problem rears its ugly head: I cut some braces to the exact width of the boards for each side to stabilize the corners, but there’s this ornamental molding in the corners of the walls that comes out to about an inch from the corner on each side, so I can’t get my little braces flush with the wall. I’d have to cut an inch off one end, which is where the hole is on one side, so I’d have to cut a new hole, too. Hmmm… maybe I can skip those? After all, I have 6 mounting brackets, that should still be plenty of support.

The wall is 155″ long. Divide that by 7 and I get 22.15″ (rounded a bit) as an interval for bracket placement, which is a pain in the ass measurement to work with, but really since I won’t be using the braces, the brackets at each end probably need to be closer to the wall anyway. Oh, and there’s a 3′ doorway to work around, the ornamental part of the brackets come down below the top of it so I’ll have to straddle it. Did I mention the doorway is offset to one side and not dead in the middle?

Precise interval placement of the brackets seems pretty much a lost cause. And  I am going to have to cut a 45 degree angle off the shelves at each end where they meet the wall because of that [email protected]#$%& ! molding. If I’m going to have to do that, I might as well cut the stupid braces and use them after all.

I think this calls for beer and foul language. I’ve already got a head start on the latter.

Itsy-bitsy beaded dog collar, and more

Itsy-bitsy beaded dog collar

One of our local pet shops had a motley assortment of clearance dog collars recently and I grabbed a few of them for beadwork projects.  Two of them were little faux leather collars that I didn’t quite realize were as tiny as they are; they will fit a dog with a neck size of 6″-8″ which is basically a really small toy breed dog. I just finished with the first one, it had a little green butterfly charm on it so I made a simple pattern that involved a similar shade of green. The other color is black and I think I am going with a 50s retro pink and black pattern for that one…

Either this:

pattern 1

Or this:

pattern 2

I like them both, I have had one person tell me the second one hurts their eyes, and another preferred that one. I guess it comes down to what might look better on a teeny (these collars are too small even for Cricket) little foo-foo dog. I haven’t decided yet. Input is welcome. 🙂

Last month I did this one:

Rainbow beaded dog collar

It’s the same width pattern but a bit more practical neck size, it will fit a 9-12″ neck. I love the colors, I just find them so cheery.

I got a new loom a while back and have been having a lot of fun with it. Especially since the garden was a dismal failure this year, so I’ve had more time… But I’ll save the saga of the garden for another post.

 

Rescue of a different sort

A few weeks back we spotted this little guy at a local thrift store:

5988

It looked like it had seen better days but I figured with a bit of elbow grease and a re-seasoning, it could be as good as new again.

5991
Here it is, ready for action. It’s just the perfect size for, say, the makings of an egg sandwich. A lot handier than hauling out Bertha (our big cast iron pan) for just one egg or a handful of mushrooms.

I just about ran Joy out of the house with the seasoning process, though.